Sunday, October 24, 2010

A sticky situation

Name your poison, er, favorite sticky stuff! There are so many types of glues and adhesives on the market these days, with all the various types of crafts there are to use them with. So I thought I would do a post on some of my favorites, and well, more often used sticky methods.



This picture is of some of the glues and adhesives I have and use. I have various other ones as well, but these are used more often than the others. Among the others, I also have E6000, for when I'm making jewelry and need to stick a pin back or earring posts onto my project. That stuff really does stink though! Shoe Goo is another I have used that is very much the same as E6000. Of course I have Krazy Glue, for those times that I feel the need to bond my finger to my thumb! I also have wood glue for when I'm building something. A little of that in the joints and drill holes makes for a sturdier end product. As you can see by the nozzle of my glue gun, it has been well used over the years. I don't know the brand of it, but my sister has the same one and actually bought mine for me. It's the best glue gun I've ever had or used! I get my pop dots for adding dimension to cards at the dollar store, as well as the two sided tape (that big roll of white stuff in the back), which is great for making envelopes. You don't have to seal them closed right away using this stuff. Aleene's 3D glue was something I picked up on clearance once, and it's pretty neat to use too, cuz it dries dimensional. I once made a cool planter using this stuff. I glued out a design on a clay pot, and once the glue was dry I painted it. It turned out pretty funky and my friend that I gave it to at the time really loved it! You can also use that foil stuff after this glue dries to give your design a metallic look. Although, that's a look that is really kind of dated now, but hey, if you like that kind of thing! Fabric glue is pretty much speaks for itself. I don't really use it that much anymore mind you, but it's still good to keep around for whenever the need may arise. The little bottle of Sobo craft glue is good as well, but since I was introduced to the following glue, I rarely use it anymore either. Again, though, good to keep around, like for when the hubby asks for craft glue! That way I don't have to share the good stuff! (wink, wink)



This is my all time favorite wet glue to use for general crafting. Scotch Quick-Dry Adhesive is great for scrapbookers, as it's acid free and photo safe. What I like about it is that you can use very little to go a long way, and it really does dry quick too, which is great when I'm making cards. I've had this same bottle for a couple years now and it's still half full! It claims that it is good for paper, metal and plastic, and guess what? They're right! I've made cards and attached little metal embellishments to them using this glue. I even glued a little mirror into one card, and it held up great! My mother-in-law introduced me to this glue a few years ago, and I've turned several other people onto it since then. The only thing about it is, you don't normally find it in the craft section at Wal-mart, but rather the school supplies section. Great sticky stuff!



My other big time favorite here is this glue tape. It's double sided, so it's awesome for building layers on a card, or in a scrapbook. Just wheel it out where you want it, and grab your next paper layer, place it down and it's stuck! Now here's my sticky little secret about this stuff... of course you can buy it at the crafts stores, like Michaels, etc., and you can even get refills for it, but this one that I buy only costs me a buck! Yes, just one single dollar is all I pay. Sure, I initially bought the more expensive type at Michaels once, and was on my way there one day to buy a refill, but I happened to stop at the dollar store on the way, and there it was, hanging on the wall in the craft row like a sticky knight in shining armor! This stuff is also acid free for all you scrapbookers out there. So remember to check out your dollar stores before you go spend way more than you have to at the craft and scrapping stores.



Spray on craft adhesive is also great for when you have a large surface you're gluing something to, such as upholstery foam when you are re-covering your kitchen chairs or what have you. Sometimes I'll use a very very light coat as well to hold an applique piece in place while I stitch it. Especially if that piece is so small for pins to be of any help. And you can also use it in place of pins to keep very slippery fabric or leather together while you sew the seams. Remember to mask off the area on the garment side of the seam allowance, and again, use caution by spraying a very very light coat. You don't want to gum up your sewing machine by using too much of it.



Well looky here what popped into my picture! Why it's that new (to me) wonder stuff -- Modge Podge Dimensional Magic! Now I know that it's not essentially a glue, but rather a sealer, but I am so excited that I got to add it to my craft supplies today so I had to share it here! I actually ordered a couple bottles online from Herrschners last night, and then didn't I find it today when I went to pick up a few things at Wally World! Figures! I was a little sad at the fact that I paid almost $16.00 ($4.99 each plus shipping to Canada) for two bottles from Herrschners, when today I got this bottle for the low Wal-mart price of $3.97 plus tax. However, I was still excited that I was able to have this little bottle in my crafty little hands in time to make some candy corn earrings, which are drying as I type! I figured I would try and cancel my online order, but couldn't figure out how to go about that, so I'll just chalk the added cost down as a learning curve -- just because our Michaels store here doesn't carry something, check Wally World and the dollar store first before I order online! I never even considered that Wal-mart may have this stuff cuz they seem to be depleting so much of the craft section in getting ready to bloom into a Super Wal-mart. Super Wal-marts... bah! But that's a rant for my other blog!

.

No comments: